At some point in time, every homeowner decides that it’s time to remodel their home. It may be a whole home “facelift” or one specific area that you want to improve. Remodeling can be an overwhelming process but one that will be worth it when you sit down to enjoy your new improved home. Here is what you can expect from the process:
- Decide on Projects & Set Priorities: Make a list of what you would like to change in your home and then rank each one. Consider your family’s lifestyle and how you want to use each room when setting your priorities. You may also want to consider making your home more energy efficient or providing better accessibility for someone with limited mobility.
- Set a Budget: This is an important step for you at the beginning of your remodel. You need to know what you can afford and how much you want to designate for the changes that you want to make to your home. A reliable contractor will be respectful of your finances and help you make choices depending on your budget. They will be mindful of spending and communicate with you during the process to keep your project within budget.
- Hire a Contractor: There are many different aspects of home remodeling, having ONE person who is responsible for all of those pieces will make your life and your remodel easier. It will also save you time and money in the long run. You should hire a reputable contractor with good references, someone who you can communicate with and who listens to what you want for your home remodel. You also need to check that they have a license and insurance.
- Design: An experienced contractor will have done many projects and should have some helpful ideas for you. They will know what works and what looks good. Explain, as clearly as you can, what you are looking for in this remodel. They can help you decide on what will work best with your lifestyle. The contractor will then come back to you with design plans for your project and discuss the expected timeline. Together, you will make any necessary changes until you are happy with the plan.
- Secure Permits & Order Materials: When you have an agreed upon project plan, it is time to get started! Your contractor will pull the permits for the job. Each permit has a cost associated with it that must be paid to the city. They will also order the materials needed and arrange to deliver them to your home.
- Demolition: The work crew will be clearing the workspace to be able to rebuild your new area. They will take out the old cabinets, appliances, and flooring depending on what you are changing. Anything that is going to be new and beautiful…. the old stuff needs to be taken out!
- Walls: If you are taking out or moving walls this will be done during demo. Then new wall frames will be built.
- Plumbing, Electrical, & Insulation: Everything within the walls needs to be done before new drywall can be put up. New electrical and plumbing will need to pass inspection before your contractor can move to the next step.
- Drywall & Windows: Once the rough-in work is done and the project has passed inspection, the drywall and windows can be installed.
- Install Flooring & Paint: Now your remodel is really starting to look like what you have dreamed about! The walls are up and being painted and the floor is being installed. You will see the style and colors that you have chosen come to life in your home.
- Finishing Touches: It’s finally time for the finishing touches! New cabinets, lighting, baseboards, crown moldings, and appliances will all be installed.
Through each step of the process your contractor will keep you updated and troubleshoot the inevitable unexpected challenges. You now have improved the value of your home as well as your day to day enjoyment of it.